Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Trying a new art style

I like to spice up my drawings from time to time. This time, I decided to try my hand at drawing a Manga illustration in Shoujo style (pronounced Show Joe). Shoujo is the most widely read genre of Japanese comics. It features teen characters and leans more toward stories aimed at young female readers. The girls are drawn pretty and cute. The Shoujo look requires special elements and proportions: big, glistening eyes; a small mouth; and a tiny nose. Shoujo girls are between ages twelve and seventeen.

Shoujo drawing is not as easy as it looks. It is all about proportion and I had to erase a lot to finally get something close enough to the guidelines. I drew two so far. I named my character Louise. In this image, Louise is holding a small gift; like she would be going to a birthday party or maybe a house warming party.

I used this week Mojo Monday sketch (MOJO160) to make that card. I flipped vertucakkt it to accommodate the image.

Supplies:

Digistamp:
Guylou's Inimitability - Louise and gift (not available in the store yet)
Copics:
Hair: E07, E09
Skin: E00, E11
Eyes: G82
Blouse: R83, R85
Gift: B23, Y19
Pants: B97, B99
Shoes: C6, C9
Papers:
k i Memories - Designer Paper Pad - Colorful Fun Paper Pad
DCWV Cardstock Stack - Neutrals
Tool(:
Martha Stewart - Doily Lace Border Punch
Embellishments:
Ribbon by Dollarama Crafts
Pearls by Dollarama Crafts

5 comments:

PresentStorm said...

I am liking this style G! I really love how you did her face

Trina said...

Congrats! Back when I used to draw, I wouldn't usually try people b/c my proportions were always wrong... ;)

Brenda said...

Wow, G, this is amazing. I love this image!!! She is awesome. Love the style!!

Lawren said...

Love the new image. You did a great job.

Kim Kelley said...

Love her. Give me more!LOL Truly it is a good style for you!

Post a Comment