Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Christmas card in honour of my sweet Joy

Joy is our14 years old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. We got her at the Toronto Humane Society when she was only 7 weeks old. When we finally moved into a house, we decided to get a dog for the children. I called the THS almost every day asking them if they had a puppy. Most dogs they had available were mature dogs. At the time Gabby was 5 years old and Jeremy was only 3 years old. I did not want a dog who might be a menace to the children. I knew a puppy would be fine as it would grow with the children and become part of the family without any issues.

After calling the THS for six month straight, they finally told me they had a puppy for adoption. They told which date to come to their building, not guarantying me that I would get her since it is a first comes first served system. We were there way before the door opened. I went where he told me I would find her and there she was jumping up and down; wanting to come home with us.  The report they gave me explained that Joy was found with her sister in an alley on January 9th of that year. We had freezing temperatures that particular month of January. Joy's sister did not survive. The reason why Joy did was because whoever abandonned them, placed Joy's sister n top of her. Her sister kept her warm. They had to amputate part of Joy's tail because it was frozen, but beside that, she was just fine.

Joy got her name from my son Jeremy. We were trying to decide how to call her and Jeremy was not saying anything. I wanted to call her Rosy because her nose is pink; Gabby wanted to call her Daisy. I turned to Jeremy and asked him if he had a suggestion for a name. He said: "I want to call her Joy". I asked why he thought it would be a good name for the puppy. He replied: "I want to call her Joy because she will bring us lots of joy!" How can you refuse him; he was only 3 years old and he knew already that Joy was going to be a marvelous dog.

Joy has not been feeling well lately and we are afraid that she will leave us soon. We love her very much and it will be extremely hard on all of us when she is gone. Joy has been the best dog I ever had. She is bright, funny and such a great companion. 14 years old is a good life, that what her vet keeps telling me. I don't argue that; I just want her to stay with us much longer.

So to celebrate Joy and how much joy she is bringing us, I decided to make a digistamp in her honour. I will use this digistamps on most of my personal Christmas cards this year. I have not decided yet if this digi will be available in my online store. I drew a full tail on that little dog in case I decide to sell the image. We'll see!


I used the wonderful sketch provided by Sketch Saturday to make this card.

Supplies:
Digistamp:   Joy and Gift
Copics:       E13, E17, E18, E74, E77, R46, YG67
Papers:     
Hobby Lobby: Happy Holidays  Paper Pack
DCWV Cardstock Stack Neutrals
Ribbon:      Dollarama - Decorative Ribbon
Embellishments: Crafts - Selft Adhesive Rhinestones

7 comments:

Sharon said...

What a lovely story about how your gorgeous dog came to be with your family. I love the card, such wonderful, bright colours.

Tink said...

OK, I'm in TEARS!! What a Beautiful Dog!
I would remake that digi with her Shorter tail...

THERESA said...

You just made me cry, that is so sweet, love the card and the digi..........mwah
I feel the same about my doggies, just lost two in a two week period, so sad!!!

Trina said...

So, I might be overly sensitive, but I'm teary-eyed too. I had my doggie for over sixteen years so I know how a good dog can be a blessing... Enjoy your time with her!!

Kim Kelley said...

Wonderful card and love the story behind it. It is so hard with animals because they can't tell you where it hurts or how bad. You just have to take each moment with them and hold the love and JOY they give you forever in your heart!

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments on my blog. It means a lot!

Brenda said...

I love this card. I love that you put JOY on a card. Great design based on the sketch.

Gina L said...

I have heard Joy's story before, but it always makes me smile and tear up at the same time when I hear it again. I know you have been blessed to have her in your life. She has also been blessed to have you in hers. LUG!

Post a Comment